Saturday, October 6, 2007

Epilouge

So, after everything is said and done, how was it? Well, it was fun and enjoyable. How can that be you ask? I went out for an hour-long morning swim, followed by a ride around my usual roads for a few hours, and ran around downtown and the campus of the University of Wisconsin. That's all. I was done by 5:45 and there was still plenty of light. I changed out of my wet clothes and walked around the corner to a restaurant on the Capital square to eat at 7:30, watching other athletes finish or head out for another thirteen miles. After supper, my Mom and I picked up my girlfriend, who was volunteering at the medical tent, dropped her off at 10:00, and then headed back to Verona to be asleep by 11:00, even while other athletes were finishing or had yet to finish. It's nice to finish during the day.

I had to compete through a few issues, like everyone, but it was nothing that stopped me, just slowed me down a little bit. Most of my body was pretty sore the next day. My legs and back hurt and my knees were sore. My knees felt fine by Tuesday and my muscle soreness subsided by Thursday, when I was back to 100%. It was nice to recover quickly. I didn't do any training or athletic stuff until the next weekend when I went for a ride, which felt a bit weird after not doing anything for a week.

The Ironman was fun, but it is nice to be able to go home after work and train only if I want to. Weekends are nice too, because I can do what I want and go for a long ride if I want or just watch football all day long. I've been riding and running a bit, a couple of miles per week for each. I'm doing a few cyclo-cross races this fall which is basically a mountain bike race on road bikes, but with knobby tires. It is a fun way to keep my fitness and do something else. Soon, I'll have to ride in the basement and watch movies. In the mean time, the weather is fine, so I'm going outside. I'll see you out there.

I'll continue blogging about my fall racing, training and anything else that needs to be documented. Stop back at this web address. I'll also be updating a some of the previous posts with more pictures. Enjoy.

No comments: