Haven't written anything in a month, but nothing new has happened of note, so don't get on my case. A daily post saying 'I did noting today' would be pretty lame.
So, I now have a little time to write, I'll let you know what I did for my birthday. Last year, I had a big celebration, going out with friends for supper, then the Comedy Club and out more later that night. After planning something that involved last year, I didn't really feel like planning as much this year. I still had a busy day, it was long and tiring, but it was more low key.
I'm training to run the US Track & Field 100k National Championships, see next post, so I used the day to train. I ran twelve miles in the morning, refereed three soccer matches, and ran fourteen more miles with my friend Andrea. My twelve in the morning were pretty easy. I went at an easy pace and felt pretty good, but I somehow got a very large blister. I've never got a blister before, and the shoes and socks are ones I've had for a while and are broken in, so there should have been no reason. I popped the blister before soccer and bandaged it for soccer and my afternoon run. My afternoon went less-well, but the blister wasn't a problem. I was later than the time I planned to meet Andrea. I was planning to run some loops of the UW Arboritum, the course for the 100k. I was going to be late to meet Andrea, so I ran the first loop by myself at a pretty fast pace, grabbed a swig of water, and then took off with her at a slower pace. By then, my legs were feeling a bit sluggish, but still good. By the end of our run, I was 'bonking' pretty hard. That means that my glycogen (sugar) stores in my body were completely depleted and I had no more energy. When that happened, I got the chills, my head started to get a bit foggy, I got dizzy and was in pretty bad shape. I walked a little bit to allow my body to catch up a bit and I consumed some food and drink once I got back to the car. In a minute or two I was feeling much better.
After the physical part of my day, Kathryn and I met my parents and my friend Sarah at the Great Dane downtown for supper. The place was packed because it was a Saturday night and the Badger men's hockey team played that night. It was fun to catch up with Sarah since I hadn't seen her for a while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment