Friday, September 28, 2007

Race Morning

4:00a
At this point, if you're going to get up, you'd better have a really good reason. I had 140.6 of them. I figured that was good enough for me, so I got up.

Breakfast was oatmeal with raisins and water/sports drink. Again, I tried to stomach as many calories as I could. I could burn 8,000-10,000 calories and it is impossible to digest enough calories during the race, so I have to cram. After a quick check to make sure I didn't forget anything, my dad took me downtown to drop off my special needs bags for the bike and run. The special needs bags are for half-way through the bike and run, and most people put food or extra gear (socks, shoelaces, etc.). Unfortunately, somewhere between the van and the Capital Square, I lost one of my bags. Thankfully, I only had food in my bags, and I never stopped for either bag, so it really didn't matter.

After dropping of my special needs bag(s), I walked to the top of the Terrace, towards the bright lights, and the other athletes getting marked with permanent marker. Already, the announcer and his music was in fine form. If anyone was still sleepy, the excitement of the morning, and the pounding music would quickly put an end to that. 388, just another step towards the inevitable, then on to the next. (Cue Dave Matthews Band - Ants Go Marching) Checked my bike, looked good. Pumped my tires up to 140 psi, hard tires = fast bike. Went into the Terrace to drop off a few other things into my swim-bike and bike-run transition bags. With nothing else to do, I wait, listen to music, and not think about anything.



Am I nervous? Nope, just another race for me. I really don't think much about it. No reason. If I get excited, I race too fast, and I'll burn out to quickly. I really won't think about the race, the entirety of the race until I make the turn on the marathon to start the second loop. Then, I'll need a little extra. Until then, I just stay calm.

CAUTION: PARTIAL NUDITY




Now, it's time. After my Dad showed me the double-super top-secret bathroom in the Monona Terrace (thanks Dad), I 'suited up'. Time to get to work. Andrea, Wes, and I took off down the Terrace helix, down to the swim start (cone!). For those of you who were not walking down the helix (cone!), Andrea had a problem with walking, saying 'Hi' to friends, and avoiding the cones (cone!) placed periodically on the way down the helix. So like a good friend, I would announce when there would be another cone (cone!). It must have worked, because she didn't trip over another one (cone!).

We got to the bottom, zipped up the rest of the way, and prepared to enter the water. The conditions were perfect. The water was absolutely glass, the start temperature was 60, and the high was 75. The conditions were perfect and everyone was fast. Enough pre-race, time for the race.



Brother Jonathan and his wife Megan at the water before the start.

No comments: