Monday, February 18, 2008

More Snow (...and you expected something else?)

UPDATE:
As of 2/21/08, we currently have 83.7 inches of snow for the season, which broke the old record of 76.1 by a good amount, and we still have much more winter to go. I figure, if we break it, we might as well smash it. I'm hoping for 100 inches by the end of it. Don't mind me, I'm just nuts.

Sunday had the potential to be epic, and it was, but not in the way I was expecting. We were forecast to get 5-9 inches of snow. Big deal. This winter we broke the old seasonal snowfall record total of 76.1 inches. Right now, we have over 80 inches of snow and it is only mid-February. There is a good chance we could get to 100 without much effort. Sunday, it began raining at 1:00am and continued for twelve hours. At first the rain fell and froze on the roads, but then as more rain fell, it melted the ice and produced huge puddles since the water couldn't drain with all the ice and snow. Finally it started snowing around 1:00pm and continued most of the night. We only received a few inches of accumulation, but the snow on top of the water and ice shut down the whole city. This morning when I awoke, we had a new band of snow...no surprise this winter. It snowed a little today. Tonight, I'll scrape off the driveway and hopefully get all the ice the accumulated yesterday. I used the snowblower yesterday to removed the top few inches of snow and then I was planning on scraping the ice tonight. But, there's more snow, so I'll have to shovel that too.

All this weather comes as I'm trying to start my marathon training program. I've put in all the required miles for the schedule, but yesterday was absurd, so that eight-mile run will be moved to today. I don't know if that will be outside or inside, with the conditions still probably slick and the temperature dropping to the low single digits. Inside it is.

...regardless of conditions, it's still better than 40 with grass showing. That's not winter, it's hell.

No comments: